We’ll drink a cup of kindness then…for times gone by.
Another year has ended, and 2006 joins the ranks of “times gone by.” (auld lang syne…or “old long since”)
This morning, I want to lift a cup of kindness to:
- My partner and love, who continues to travel with me through the good and the bad, the sweet and the sorrowful.
- My son, who has begun the long journey of adolescence, with its bumps and bruises and its moments of wisdom.
- My daughter, who is blossoming into a young woman of great creativity and beauty.
- My good friend, who while most of a continent away, keeps me thinking, laughing, talking, and playing.
- My colleague, Rev. Telos Whitfield, for her successes interning with our congregation and being ordained and settled in hers.
- My congregation, who lost too many this year, and know even more deeply how important it is to create a community that truly means, “you are welcome here.”
But most of all I lift a cup to the hope that this year will bring peace. May wars, genocide, gang violence, and greed dissolve into that cup of kindness. May humanity come to its senses.